I picked two complementary fabrics out at Jo-Ann’s. The yellow looking one is actually a very pretty light cream with gold flecks!
We laid out the cutting board and all of our supplies on the dining room table.
I sewed the lining and outer fabric together with the tying ribbon and then folded part of it up to create a pocket for my brushes.
A little action shot for you!
Sewing the large pocket was pretty easy! I had a ton of trouble when it came time to sew the individual brush pockets though! The sewing machine wasn’t being very nice to me and kept jumbling up my thread at the beginning or end of almost every stitch! The seam ripper and I became great friends during this portion of the project!
The sewing machine and I eventually got it figured out, and I was able to finish all the individual pockets several hours later!
Here’s my finished organizer!
I created several different sized pockets to accommodate the various sizes of my makeup brushes.
The pockets also fit my Tombow markers!
All rolled up with a pretty mint bow! So cute!
I got quite frustrated during certain portions of this project, but I absolutely love how it turned out!
I have another embroidery project to show you! Supplies:
Doodle Stitching: Embroidery & Beyond by Aimee Ray
Fabric (I used muslin)
DMC Floss Colors:
838 – Dark brown
840 – Brown
842 – Light Brown (optional)
Here’s a picture of the design I’m working off of. We’re going to start by hooping our fabric. The majority of this project is made by using the Back Stitch.
With brown thread, stitch a rounded triangle to create part of Chester’s head. Use the dark brown thread to create the ears.
I decided to stitch them at the same time instead of stitching the head in between.
My ears turned out two different shapes. Whoopsie!! Oh well, it gives Chester some character! Now we have to stitch the head.
I had no problems with left side of the head. The right side is where I ran into trouble! I think I stitched and restitched the right side of Chester’s head at least three times!
I had a lot of trouble getting the cheek rounded the right way. I kept ending up with harsh turns and sharp angles. Now, it’s time for the body and the feet! Just like with the ears, I had some trouble with the feet!
There is definitely a learning curve to hand embroidery! Little Chester is coming right along! Now it’s time to add his arms! You can make the arms the same length or different lengths like I did.
The book shows the arms as different lengths, and I figured it would be easier to make them blatantly different than try to make them exactly the same! It’s time to make Chester’s sweet face!
I used double wrapped French Knots for his eyes. I prefer double wrapped knots to single, because I like my knots to be a little bigger. Especially in the case of Chester’s eyes. Chester has such a sweet grin! (At least I think so!)
With brown thread, use the Satin Stitch to make his tiny nose and the Back Stitch to make his mouth. Tail Time! Continuing with the brown thread, Back Stitch the upper part of Chester’s tail. Use the dark brown thread to finish off the tail.
I love the swirly part of the tail! It adds (more) great character to our chubby chipmunk! The acorn is the last part of our project.
Use the brown thread to create the nut part of the acorn and the dark brown thread to create the upper “hat” portion. Once you’ve finished stitching the domed “hat” portion of the acorn, add one Straight Stitch crossing over the upper half to make the stem. Chester the chubby chipmunk is complete!!
I think he turned our might cute if I do say so myself!! 😀
Feel free to add more acorns or the wording like the example from the book!